Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Help My Garden


Well, here it is. My humble little garden. My hubby helped me build it inbetweeen spiratic rainstorms on Sunday and I have been doing my best to keep it going. This is my first garden, so I am starting small. Hopefully we'll have a bumper crop and next year I can have two or 3 more of these boxes! Thanks to my new friend, Tara, I have 5 types of tomatoes and a sechwan pepper growing. When I went back to the store for more soil (since I am apparently not skilled at gardening OR math) I picked up a jalapeno, a squash and an eggplant. Hmmm...anyone have a recipe for that combo?
I do have a problem, though. See that spot in the center where the soil has been moved? That is where I raked over a little hole someone dug overnight! I am thinking it was a cat. None of the foliage was nibbled on. Knowing that the neighborhood cats (there are countless!) would find this new loose soil irresistable, I have already scattered "critter ridder" in my flower beds as well as the garden! Now what? Chicken wire would keep the bunnies out, but cats? They'd elbow oneanother, laugh at me and jump in anyway.

When I was outside pondering the situation this morning, this little lady showed up. I asked her for advice but she didn't have any. Do you?

4 comments:

Flea said...

I have a fantastic recipe for eggplant parmesan that I'll be posting later this summer, when my tomatoes and eggplant are ripe. Mmmm!

dlyn said...

you have to start somewhere Lori - one of these days you will have the whole back fourty in tomatoes!

Keeping up with the Kennedy's said...

Reminds me of the country song...it talks about "another red lady bug"...anyway, keep up the good work...wishing I had a garden. They are so much fun, and like therapy for me!

Rachael said...

Maybe make an eggplant and squash lasagna!
Looking forward to seeing the progress! Good for you!