Thursday, September 25, 2008

I want a puppy.

It has been a long time since I have been able to say that. After the passing of our last dog, Weasel, my heart couldn't bear the thought of inviting another dog into our lives. It was just too painful.
But lately, I've had the itch. We stopped by an adoption that was going on in Spring Hill and I wanted to take them all home. Then my friend Cissy and her family just got a new puppy and the itch turned into a poison ivy-like fever!
There is a lot to consider, and we don't take the idea of adopting a dog lightly. Adopting is what we will do, either from a shelter or a rescue. I used this random photo of puppies I found just for effect, but maybe a dog that is 1 or 2 years old would be better. I like muts, too. The uglier the better. But, I have to consider breed to a certain extent, since we have a child and the dog will be mostly indoors with us.
I have actually called on two postings from Craig's List (rescue/adoptions only....I am not going to BUY a dog when there are so many that are being given away), but both dogs were already gone. There are a ton more, but I am trying to be careful and take my time.
We have a big trip home to Texas planned around Thanksgiving, so I am considering waiting until after that trip to make the transition smoother for the dog. Maybe for Christmas? I wellcome your thoughts and suggestions.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

we found sophie through www.petfinder.com. it's great. It tells you if the dogs are good with children or not as well. We got her through furry friends rescue which is at KMK farms.

Flea said...

You want a cat? :)

We got our babies through the Aussie rescue in Florida. I LOVE rescue dogs. They come already housebroken. It totally rocks.

There are quizzes online to help determine what kind of dog is best for your family. Just google dog family quiz.

Yay!

Rachael said...

I love having our dog but it is such a pain when going out of town! Good luck on picking one. I just don't understand the uglier the better thing...I want the cuter the better!