Thursday, March 27, 2008

Boil some water!



Just kidding! I had almost forgotten to tell you all about this little guy until my blog-friend Flea mentioned crawfish in a recent post! Now, I do enjoy consuming crawfish, but I am in no hurry to eat this fella. I found him in our creek about 2 weeks ago while doing some raking near the driveway. I was trying to get more of those awful leaves out of the landscaping and something moved in the water! At this particular spot in the creek, the water is only about 3 inches deep and it was pretty mucked up. It sent a shiver down my spine, but then I remembered my 3yr old playing about 10 feet away and how cool it would be for him and his buddy, Jackson, to see and touch a crawfish. I was already wearing gardening gloves with the rubber stuff on them, so I plucked him right out of the water. I held his pinchers down with my thumb and let the boys "pet" his tail. They giggled and squealed and watching that was worth supressing the urge to throw the thing back in the water and squeal myself!

3 comments:

Flea said...

Aren't crawfish the most adorable things ever? When I was in high school, a friend brought in a pregnant crawfish she'd found in a ditch. We sat in class watching it shake the babies off her tail for what felt like hours! Tiny, tiny transparent crawfish, replicas of their mom.

The Brown Family said...

We need to have a crawfish boil! My neighbor has the pot for cooking them outside. What do you say? I will get the food together and maybe we can party by your creek--Small Group Social!

Keeping up with the Kennedy's said...

cool...I second the boiling party!