Aren't these flowers pretty? Thought I'd put up a pretty picture while I discuss an ugly truth:
I am getting old.
Some of you are older than me, and I mean no insult. I am just making an observation about my own experience. Age is relative if your outlook is right. And don't misunderstand me. I am not complaining. I have just been noticing a few things: fine lines around my eyes, random gray hairs on my head, noises I have never heard before when I stand up from a kneeling position...
Some of you are older than me, and I mean no insult. I am just making an observation about my own experience. Age is relative if your outlook is right. And don't misunderstand me. I am not complaining. I have just been noticing a few things: fine lines around my eyes, random gray hairs on my head, noises I have never heard before when I stand up from a kneeling position...
I'm taking it in stride, though. Trying to take good care of myself and I really do appreciate this phase of my life. I adore being a mother to my sweet son and having a lot of the drama of my younger years behind me. I love being able to say that I have been married for almost 11 years and looking back on all that Rudy and I have experienced together.
On a sillier note, I have composet a list of things that have clued me in to the fact that I am getting older:
1. Coverage and support are the first two things I look for in a bathing suit. Not color or cut.
2. I am trying to cover up age spots on my face instead of pimples...although I still get those, too, which is just some kind of cruel joke.
3. My knowledge of what's "in" and who's who. I picked up a People Magazine the other day while getting a pedicure and I didn't know who half of those people were. Not that I am bothered by this....
4. Fashion. Now, I try to stay current and have some sense of style. But, walking through the mall I find my self thinking, "I just don't get it" when the teens walk by.
5. My short term memory is like swiss cheese. A day does not go by that I don't lose my keys, misplace my phone or walk into a room and realize I have no idea why I went in there.
6. Being called "Maam". I know it is polite and respectful and all that, but I'd rather the kid at the grocery store just insult me by assuming I am his age, OK!
7. Things/ stuff/clothes?music that I remember/had/wore/listened to is all coming back into style and they are calling it "retro".
So, I hope I am not alone in this. Can anybody relate? And tell me what makes you feel old. The least we can do to ease our pain is share a laugh over it!

5 comments:
Amen. On all 7. You mean you haven't encouraged your son to wear baggy, low hanging, boxer revealing jeans???
Congrats on 11 years! We're 17yrs next Saturday. (I'm not THAT much older than you ;))
You look great, Lori! I know what you mean though... it is kind of weird when your nephew is starting High School and you remember taking care of him when he was a baby. I have HUGE bags under my eyes.
Amen sista!!! I have been thinking along these exact lines for some time now ;-) I agree with all of them...it's sad really. LOL The one that gets me the most is saying I have a 1st grader and a 3rd grader...WHAT?!?!?! When did that happen? I still feel like Faith just started Kindergarten yesterday, I remember taking her for kindergarten registration & testing and stressing over whether she would be okay without me every day...I mean it's only 2 more years until middle school.Ekkk!
We just celebrated our 11th annv. too and that just seems strange...AWESOME...but strange, it really does not feel like that long ago. Kris and I just had a convo the other night about how serious I am when it comes to life...you know 'cause he is so crazy ;-) and I am so NOT ~ I said well, you married me this way...he said yeah...but now your old!!! Err..I mean you act old!!! LOL Don't worry he's still alive! For now...heehee
From your 40 year old friend...I saw a young guy on a motorcycle today showing off his muscular arms in a black sleevless t-shirt. Years ago I would have thought about how good looking he was. Today, with my three preschoolers in the Suburban, I wondered how his mother felt about him and how I would feel if he were my son. Now that's getting old!
I have one to add...
You know you're old when you're shopping for school shoes with your kids and the sneakers they choose aren't anything cool like Nikes, Reeboks, or New Balances. No, they choose the bulkiest, brightest, ugliest "skater" shoes that make their feet look larger than their heads! My 8 year old's reason for why I should let her and her brother get them..."Mom, YOU don't have to wear them."
Oh, and one more thing...
In addition to all the reasons you listed in your blog....it doesn't help you feel any younger when the teenagers you work with at church were born the year you graduated from high school...or later!
Post a Comment